Digital watermarks can be attached on your photographs preventing people from sharing them online without due acknowledgment. Indolent image thieves will not be able steal your work, therefore making it easier for viewers to know who took the photo
Just say YES to Watermarks
This article will help you realize how you know the different software available and how you can place watermarks to claim ownership and protect your content. Without tagging your content, it becomes easier to access, stealing and even being used without your prior authorization.
Unauthorized Use and Distribution
Unauthorized use and your content deteriorates your brand, misinformation spreading anf even legal implications may arise.
When you post or upload digital content to servers, other users can save your asset which from there what they are used for is usually their complete discretion.
Create your own identity with watermarks.
How to create a Watermark
You have several options to decide the actual watermark to use with your photos. Below are a few tips.
- Text. Allows you to add a text string e.g. your name, description of the image as watermark or name of organization as your watermark.
- Image: You create an image which is superimposed over the photo e.g. company logo
- Copyright: Place a copyright in the watermark and others cannot publish or copy the image without your permission
Types of Watermarking Software and Tools
Different tools and software’s apart from Photoshop can be used to watermark images. With the right software and tools, the process becomes a lot easier to watermark a single photo to a batch of photos within seconds.
However, it is never possible to learn and use all of the tools available to add watermarks to photos. I have described the process below in its simplest and easiest way to make you learn with ease. So let’s get started………
Types of Watermarking Tools
Watermarking software can be grouped into desktop, browser-based (online) and mobile apps; where there can be free and paid options to help watermark your photos.
Watermark A Photo Without Photoshop
Since not everyone has accessibility to Photoshop or is comfortable using such an advanced software, worry no more if you are such kind of person.
Microsoft Paint is the cheapest and easiest way to copyright your image is by using the text tool available in this photo-editing program and your photos and mark your name on it. However, this method might not be appealing but it is easier and there is no need for you to buy any fancier programs. Bulk watermarking will be fast but in case you want to watermark a two photographs you already have the program that will do the work for you.
In this case we will use Paint 3D
- Select the photo: Photos that make their way in a public place on the internet can easily be downloaded you need to place a watermark on them. Only those photos you don’t want others to take and use without your permit you need to watermark and save yourself energy and some tome.
- Make copies: Create copies of the original image you want to watermark and then place watermarks on the copies instead.
- Click to open Paint 3D on the start menu
- Select type and size of the watermark: Choose the type of watermark you want to use, it’s size and it should neither be too big or too small.
- Apply your watermark: Using the software chosen earlier, apply the watermark your photo.
- Click Menu icon then Save As to be able to save your work.
Watermark Online Photo Tools
I believe there are many alternatives to add watermark to photos online for free because of the wide variety of online tools to choose from. Most of these tools have limited features unless you upgrade to Pro/Premium Versions to enjoy all features available.
For example, PicMarkr allows multiple uploading of up to five photos and creating an image watermark, but it doesn’t allow choosing of opacity of the secondary image thus it limits blending of the original photo unless you upgrade.
PicMark takes a more cleaner approach. However, someone can easily cut off your image from the frame you created and you cannot choose the size of image watermarked.
How to Watermark using PicMarkr
- Ensure you are logged into Flickr, Picasa or Facebook.
- Import/Upload your photos (max 5 at a go).
- Choose from the 3 optional watermark types you prefer to use
- Set your watermark text color and opacity.
- Click download to be able to save your work.
Watermarkly also offers protection with Watermarkly logo on photos, unless one upgrades or Watermark.ws which supports stylish watermarks but only 1 phots can be saved free on the device.
Other examples include watermarkphotos.net
Use a Desktop watermark software
This is a watermarking software you could download and essentially does the same functions as the before mentioned online tools. Such tools make the process efficient because no internet connectivity is required and photos are stored on your local drive.
With the diverseness software, both paid and free, each comes with different extra features one can use so be sure to already have some software on your PC or Laptop that can create watermarks.
IrfanView, a common Windows image viewer is such example with an in-built watermarking features.
PhotoBulk, on MacOS is a great alternative that allows you to easily add customized watermarks in volume in addition to editing EXIF data and resizing images.
How to Watermark using IrfanView
- Open the picture to be watermarked
- Find the location to place watermark
- Click Edit; Select Insert Text. In pop-up box, type your content and edit font size
- Click File; Save As to save your work.
Use Photo Editor to Watermark Images
How fancy your watermark appears depends on your experience level of graphic designing you can use in image editing to watermark which for many it is an easier and cheaper way of creating watermarks instead of Photoshop.
How to Make Watermark in GIMP
- Open a photo with GIMP and Select Tools.
- Click the image to insert the text editor and type preferred text.
- Change your text to the size, font and color you desire.
- Click “Layers” select Windows; Dockable Dialogs; Layers
- Selecting the text layer, slide Opacity (preferably 40%-60%)
Use Mobile Apps to Watermark Images
Those of using smartphones, several mobile Watermarking apps have been available that one can use and there is no shortage, irrespective you are an iOS or Android user. When on the go and you want to securely share your photos, you add watermarks even without your own consent.
Most commonly used watermarking which offers their users capability to add any photos from their phone library and add watermarks like logo or copyright and batch-watermarking with just a few taps is the iWartermark (Android/iOS)
Some offer you capability to create shortcuts that would watermark your image collage, resizing and uploading them to social networks besides watermarking like Shortcuts.
The distinguishing feature is that you can automate processes such that photos are automatically uploaded to Dropbox, Facebook etc. saving time and production.
How to Watermark using iWatermarkpro
- Go to file menu and select New Watermark
- Select Text to create new watermark.
- Edit the editor
- Add text and change font, color among others.
- Click Done buttons to save
How to add a Watermark on PDFs and Photos using Dropbox
You can easily watermark digital media without use of third-party sectors and even so without having to exit Dropbox which gives you features like customizable watermarking for PDF, PNG among other others.
How to Make Watermark using Dropbox
- Upload your photos.
- On the clear icon, click to remove uploaded images
- Select Add text or Log.
- Click on the text or logo to select and toolkit (Type your text, change size, font, color and adjust opacity).
- Drag to position in your preferred location.
- Click “Watermark Images” to specify your output. Choose between JPEG Quality and Resize Images.
- Click preview button to see how your watermark appears relative to the image.
- Click “Watermark Images” adjacent to preview button and the Watermarking begin download process.
Creating a well-crafted watermark and constantly using it on your photographs will not only help you build recognition for your photos but also build your brand and identity as a photographer or else people may mistake your pictures as being someone else’s.
Having poorly designed watermarks turn people away. However, having watermarks only provides a security layer and identifies your images but that doesn’t guarantee your images from being used without your permission.
Originally published at https://recoverit.wondershare.com/photo-tips/add-watermark-to-pictures.html