To install the Analysis ToolPak, do the following:
- Go to File | Options|Add-ins.
- Locate the Excel Add-ins option atthe bottom of the dialog box, then click on
- The Add-ins dialog box will popup. Select the items to add to the Excel interface. Click to select theadd-ins to install by ensuring there is a tick in each of thecheckboxes. Click on OK to confirmyour selection:
The tools are installed behind the scenes and you are now ready touse them on your workbook data.
- We will now use the DescriptiveStatistics tool to find the mean, median, variance, and standarddeviation of our weather data.
- Open the WeatherData.xlsx workbook. In this workbook, youwill find a large amount of weather data spanning a number of columns.We are interested in finding the stats for the Wind Speedcolumn. Select the Wind Speed column in the worksheet, thengo to Data | Data Analysis.
- The Data Analysis dialog box popsup. Select Descriptive Statistics forthis example, then click on OK:
- In the Descriptive Statisticsdialog box, ensure that the correct values are inputted into the
Input Range field (this needs to be the dataunder Wind Speed for this example) and that the data isgrouped by Columns. In this case, wewill leave the Labels in first rowcheckbox unchecked as we have not included this in our selected range.Choose the output options you require under the Output options heading (input cellAD3 as the cell to place the stats once computed), thenselect Summary statistics forreporting:
- Click on the OK button to see theresults:
- Add a heading to the top of the stats to replace Column1,if preferred.