Microsoft Excel always determines the scale of the axis by defaultfrom the data on the worksheet. Sometimes, the minimum to maximum scalerange determined by the application is a bit too large and could impactthe visual appearance of the chart. The vertical value axis (also knownas the y axis) can be altered by visiting the
- Click on the chart to edit.
- Double click the Vertical (Value)Axis on the chart to open the Format Axis pane, or
Select the chart, then select the Vertical(Value) Axis option from the
Format tab ribbon.
- From the Current Selection group,choose the Format Selectionicon.
- This will open the Format Axispane to the right of the worksheet.
- Click to edit the scale of minimum or maximum axis—for this example,we have altered the Minimum value toread -30000.0 and the
Maximum value to read 10000.0, as can be seen in the followingscreenshot:
- The chart is updated immediately with the new axis values.