A link is a piece of text, graphic, picture, chart, or shape in adocument that, when clicked on, will take the user to another location!An example would be to use a link to go to a website or file from thedocument. Links can be used to link to other files, to externaldocuments, to a place in the same document, or to web pages or graphics.This section will take you through a few methods you can use to insertlinks into Word 2019 documents. Let’s go over the first method andopen the documentcalled Hyperlinks.docx:
- Select some text or position the mouse pointer in the document whereyou would like to place the link.
- Right-click and choose
Alternatively, you can do the following:
- Click on the Insert tab.
- Choose the Links icon.
- The Insert Link dialog box willpopulate.
- Under the Link to: text at theleft top of the dialog box and make sure
Existing File or WebPage is selected.
- Type the link address into the space provided in the
- Click on OK to complete thelink.
- In the document, you will notice that the text you selected in nowformatted differently. This is because it has been identified as a link.To launch the link, hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard, andwith the Ctrl key depressed, click once with themouse. The browser will open with the relevant website.
- To visit the link, position the mouse pointer over the linked text.Hold down the Ctrl key and click once with the mouse pointer.The mouse pointer will change to a hand icon to indicate thatyou are launching a link:
This procedure is pretty much the same for all types of links youwish to create in a document. You can create a link from an image orshape in a Word document. A ScreenTip… for the link can be added via the
Linking to a separate file is a popular feature as you can distributea report in Word 2019, including a link, for example, to an Excel fileto explain a certain part of the report or include links to separatedocuments as part of an agenda.
When visiting the InsertLink dialog box, you will notice the
To edit a link, simply right-click on the link’s text and chooseEdit Link:
To remove the link, follow these steps:
- Select the text that contains the hyperlink you wish to remove.
- Right-click and choose RemoveHyperlink from the shortcut menu.
This way, the hyperlink will be removed from the text.