Excel 2019 has 479 functions, of which the following are newfunctions: IFS; SWITCH; CONCAT;TEXTJOIN; MAXIFS; MINIFS
Let’s look at a few of the commonly used functions in Excel, shown inthe following table:
|Type of function||Function||Description|
|Sum function||= sum(range)||Adds all values in a selected range|
|Average function||= average(range)||To find the arithmetic mean|
|Minimum function||= min(range)||To find the lowest value in a list|
|Maximum function||= max(range)||To find the highest value in a list|
|Count function||= count(range)||To count the number of values in a list|
|CountA function||= counta(range)||To count the number of names (text) in a list|
|CountBlank function||= countblank(range)||To count the number of blank cells in a range|
We will continue with the SSGRegions.xlsx workbook forthis example, to work out the average, minimum, and maximum values of arange of cells, as follows:
- Click on cell B13.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the
- Choose the Average function fromthe list provided, as illustrated in the following screenshot:
- The Average function is insertedinto cell B13, and Excel automatically assumes the range by selectingthe range B8:B12. This is incorrect, and is one of thoseinstances where you need to be very careful when using these quickmethods of inserting functions.
- Edit the formula to reflect the correct cell referencerange B8:B12 by replacing B12 with B11.
- Press Enter when done to view the formula result.
- Let’s do the Max and the
Min calculations. This time try the typemethod and the ribbon method to work out the maximum and the minimumvalues.
- Click on cell B14, then type the following: =MAX(B8:B11.Then, press Enter on the keyboard.
- Click on cell C14, then select the
Max function from the drop-down list fromthe AutoSum icon Formulas ribbon. Check that the formula cellreference range is correct and edit if necessary, then pressEnter to see the result in the cell.
- Click on cell B15, then type the following: =MIN(B8:B11.Then, press Enter on the keyboard.
- Click on cell C15, then select the
Min function from the drop-downlist from the AutoSum icon Formulas ribbon. Check that theformula cell reference range is correct and edit ifnecessary, thenpress Enter to see the result in the cell.
- If you are typing a formula and made a mistake, or realize you areentering the formula into the incorrect cell and need to exit theformula, simply press the Esc key on your keyboard.