As one of the most popular MOBA game, League of Legends attracts huge numbers of game players. I’m also a big fan of the game. However, recently, the C drive where the LOL game located is almost full. And the slow HDD caused bad gaming performance. I have to move League of Legends to another drive which I just bought, a faster SSD.
Never ask me why not re-download League of Legends and perform a fresh installation. The size of the game download is up to dozens of GBs. I won’t take so much time to download it again.
If you are having a hard time moving League of Legends to another drive, you are not alone. In this article, you can learn how to move League of Legends to another drive or SSD with ease. Actually, not like many applications, the game runs well when you simply move the game folder.
Move League of Legends to another drive through copying and pasting
Not like some programs relying on regedit that you can’t move and launch them simply by copying and pasting the program files to another location, League of Legends seems to be more simple. I made a try. You can copy and paste the game files to another drive directly and runs normally without any issues.
However, I can’t promise this way is suitable for all of you. So please backup the game files first by using an external drive. Then let’s follow the below steps to do that.
* Go to the folder where your game is installed. In general, the path is C:\Riot Games\League of Legends. Now right-click it to copy or cut the folder.
* After that, go to the E: drive or any drive where you want to move your game and paste it.
* Then open the League of Legends folder in the new location, and double-click LeagueClient.exe game launcher.
Next, it will start Riot game client automatically. You need to login first. However, if you checked “Stay signed in” option, you can go into LOL main interface directly.
Finally, if League of Legends runs normally in the new drive, you can delete the game files in the original location (here is C:\Riot Games\League of Legends).
Note that the launcher will patch leaked updates every time and just wait for it done. Then click Play button to start the game.
Move League of Legends to another drive through reinstalling safely
Sometimes copying your files and pasting them into the new drive doesn’t provide you the same results. You may have to reinstall League of Legends in the new drive, though it will take many hours time. Reinstalling League of Legends tends to solve most technical issues.
Uninstall League of Legends
* Open Settings app and select Apps option.
* Select League of Legends game and click Uninstall button to implement uninstallation. After that, you can also delete all files in the directory where LOL was installed (C:\Riot Games by default).
* Now go to the official website and download the game client again.
Install League of Legends to Another Drive
* After the downloading, run the “Install League of Legends na.exe” (here I choose the NA server). During the installation process, follow the steps as normal.
* It will show you the path C:\Riot Games\League of Legends. So, change it to where you want to install the League of Legends. In case, if you want to install it in the D drive, then choose the path as D:\Riot Games\League of Legends.
* Then launch League of Legends client by double click the shortcut in the Desktop. Log in with your account and then it will download game components automatically until entering the PLAY interface.
Move League of Legends to another drive with one-stop solution
In some cases, you may change the default installation path and have a hard time knowing where the game folder locates. Or you’re worried that there is an unexpected mistake when moving the game files by manual.
Don’t worry. iFindSoft aims to make your life simple. We just find a one-stop solution – EaseUS Todo PCTrans.
It will scan all the programs and games on your drives. You can select the game from the scanning result and transfer the game with one-click.
Step 1. Choose the App Migration tab the click Start.
Step 2. Choose the drive where the game locates and the software will scan and list all the programs and games. Then select the League of Legends game and confirm the destination location. Finally, click Transfer to start the migration.
Step 3. The migration progress may take a few minutes.
Once it’s done, you will see a report shows below.
Now, you can enjoy the League of Legends game on another drive freely.
Re-downloading a game with dozens of GBs size is troublesome, especially for those without a large network bandwidth. So in this article, I introduce 3 different ways to move the League of Legends game to another drive. You can take one of them to complete the migration task. And to save time, you can also try the game migration tool – EaseUS Todo PCTrans.