YouTube has become a major website to watch videos and listen to a massive collection of available music tracks. While the platform works most of the time seamlessly, you may sometimes experience some issues with the application, such as no sound in YouTube. In that case, you may wonder why is there no sound on YouTube or how to fix no sound on YouTube.
If the video is playing normally, but you cannot hear the sound, there might be a problem with the web browser or your system. Many people face such an issue when connecting to YouTube via their browser. To solve this problem, you need to uninstall and reinstall Adobe Flash Player, adjust the volume from the settings of your device, reinstall or update audio drivers, remove temp files, or clear your browser cache data from the operating system. Once you fix the issue causing the trouble, you can hear the sound. This article will help you solve the problem through various methods.
Reasons for No Sound on YouTube
The problem with the sound on YouTube may arise when you change your computer’s settings and forget. Sometimes solving the issue is as easy as turning on the volume on your PC and YouTube.
Various factors cause the issue of no audio when you watch a video on YouTube through your browser. Some of these problems include the browser, site settings, Adobe Flash Player, or the sound settings on your system. However, you do not need to worry as once you are done reading this article, you can solve the problem of no sound on YouTube.
Solution for No Sound on YouTube Videos
As various reasons can cause no sound YouTube, you must implement a solution depending on the problem. If you are not aware of the reason for no sound on YouTube, you need to try all these solutions until you successfully resolve the issue. Here are some of the solutions we will be covering in this article:
1. Checking the volume settings
2. Checking the browser
3. Updating the sound driver
4. Running the Sound or Audio Troubleshooter
Follow these solutions as presented. If you know the problem and are just looking for a solution, then you can scroll down. Before starting, make sure that sound on your YouTube is not disabled. You will find the option on the bottom left of the video you are playing. Ensure that the speaker icon is enabled. If you disabled it, unmute by clicking on the icon and turn the volume up.
Checking the Volume Settings
For the first solution, check the sound settings on your system. For that, you need to follow the instructions below.
· Click the speaker icon located at the right corner of the taskbar. If the mixer slider is on, this is not the problem, and your system sound is not mute.
· Right-click the speaker icon. Now select sounds.
· A window will open. You have to click on the Test button for checking if you hear anything or not.
· Now close that window and again bring your mouse on the speaker icon and right-click.
· Now choose Open Volume Mixer.
· You need to check if all the sliders are on.
Checking the Browser
The issue of no sound in YouTube may also occur due to your web browser. You may be experiencing the problem because you installed plugins and extensions. It is possible that some other extension is causing the issue of no sound on YouTube by blocking it.
Sometimes, restarting the browser and reloading the video might help solve the issue.
You can also open another browser and try playing the same video on YouTube. If you can hear the sound of the video on the other browser, your initial browser is not responding to the sound. For that, open the volume mixer again and check if the volume slider is on for that specific browser.
Clear the Browser Cache
If you still can’t hear the sound for a YouTube video after checking all the settings, you need to clear the temporary files and cache to try solving the issue. While it rarely occurs, try it anyways. If you are using Chrome, follow the following steps:
Launching the browser
You need to open the menu icon on the top right corner.
Open the settings.
Scroll to the bottom and click on the “Advanced.” This will open more options.
While scrolling down, you will see the “Privacy and Security” option. Open that category and then click on the “Clear browsing data.”
Go on the “advanced” tab and choose “all-time.” You will find it under the Time range.
You need to mark all the checkboxes from the following list:
- Site settings
- Cached images and files
- Cookies and other site data
- Browsing history
After that, click on “Clear data.”
Updating and Uninstalling the Browser
If you still experience the problem, you should consider uninstalling your browser and reinstalling the latest version. Here is how you can uninstall the program.
· You need to press the Windows logo + R on your keyboard for opening run dialog.
· Now you need to type appwiz.cpl in the box and click Okay.
· Locate the browser on the “Uninstall or Change a Program” and click on install.
· You need to follow the instructions on the screen.
Now download the most recent version of Chrome and install the application.
Updating the Sound Driver
If you find that the problem with the YouTube video is not limited to a single video, and you are unable to hear sound no matter what browser you try, the problem is within the system. For that, you need to update the sound driver in your system. But before that, make sure your current one is enabled. To check if you enabled the sound card, follow these steps:
· First, open the Run Dialog. To do this, open the start menu and type “Run” in the search bar. Now, click on the option once it appears in the results. If you want a shortcut, press Windows +R on your keyboard.
· Type “devmgmt.msc” in the bar and click “Okay” to open the Device Manager.
· You need to locate the “Sound, video and game controller” option. Now expand the option by clicking on the arrow.
· After that, you need right click on the sound device (for instance, Realtek High Definition Audio). Click on “Enable device” if the option is available.
· If there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on the center next to the listed devices, the problem lies with your driver.
· Right-click on the driver and choose “Update Driver Software” that you will find on the context menu.
· Now a prompt will open saying, “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
· Once your system completes the update process, you need to restart your computer and check if you solved the no sound on YouTube videos issue.
If there is a failure while updating the driver, visit the website for the manufacturer of your sound card. Download that driver and save it in a location that you will remember. You also need to ensure that the driver you are downloading is compatible with your PC. After downloading the driver, follow these steps for installation:
· Open the Device Manager, as you have learned above.
· Locate the option “Sound, video and game controller.” Expand the option by clicking on the arrow.
· Right-click on the audio device and choose to Update the driver.
· When the prompt appears, you need to select “Browse my computer for driver software.”
· When the page opens, you need to search for the location where your driver is saved.
· Now select that driver and click on open.
· After that, you need to click on Next and follow all the instructions that are displayed on your screen.
Running the Sound or Audio Troubleshooter
Windows contains a built-in troubleshooter to fix the problem you are dealing with. Many users have found this solution effective to solve the no sound in the YouTube issue. Follow the steps to run the utility:
· Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
· Now type Control Panel on the box and click n okay
· Now search “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
· Once you find the troubleshooting, you need to click on that option.
You can also type “control.exe/name Microsoft.Troubleshooting” in the box and press, Okay, and the window will open.
· Now click on Hardware and Sound.
· Click on the Playing Audio option under the Sound category.
· After that, you need to click the Next button and wait for Windows to find the issue that is possibly affecting the sound on YouTube. This process will detect the problem automatically. Now you need to follow the instructions to solve the problem.
There are various other reasons for no sound on YouTube video, such as copyright restriction, poor connectivity, etc. You need to make sure the video is running normally on any other website before installing your driver. Furthermore, many videos on YouTube do not have any sound, so make sure to check if other videos also have the no sound on YouTube issue.