The Windows 10 high disk usage is generally caused by several factors, one of which is the Microsoft click-to-run application. If this occurs, your system operations get slowed down. This is why it needs to be fixed and this article will help you achieve this.
Microsoft Click-to-Run Overview
It is important to understand what the Microsoft click-to-run application is all about. This application makes the use of Microsoft Office 365 straightforward. How does it work? By ensuring that you are taken directly to the Office official website, and that you are up to date in your MS Office version. With this, users have found a new way through which they can download and install Microsoft Office products.
Microsoft click-to-run makes use of the streaming technologies and virtualization of Microsoft to carry out its functions. This streaming technology is similar to watching videos on the internet. Just as you can watch the first part of an online video before deciding to download the whole video file, that is how you can begin using Office program before you even download the whole package, if you are using Microsoft click-to-run. Hence, as you use one part of the program, the rest is getting downloaded in the background.
Again, with the virtualization technology click-to-run uses, Office 2010 can be stored in the virtualized application space. What this means is that through the virtual space, Office 2010 is separated from all other applications on your PC, as well as the regular file system. Consequently, Office 2010 can coexist with any other already-installed version of Office on your computer system.
The Office click-to-run application is fond of taking up all system disk space, which causes other functions to slow down, thereby affecting the effectiveness of the system. This is why you need to learn how to fix this issue using the solutions below:
Solution 1: Disable the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Services
The first thing to do is to completely disable the program. Do this with the steps below:
· Open the “Run” dialog box with the use of the combination keys “Windows” and “R”.
· Type this in the box and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard: services.msc
· On the right pane of the “Services” menu, choose to right-click the option “Microsoft Office Click To Run Service”
· From the list of options, select “Properties”
· Once the “Properties” window opens, scroll to the “Startup type” options. Tap to switch to “Disable”. This will automatically stop the click-to-run program from running in the background, when you boot your computer.
· To ensure that all changes have taken effect, go to your “Task Manager” and you will note that click to run is no longer among the list of running applications.
Solution 2: Do a Repair of the Microsoft Click-to-Run in Your System
This solution comes in handy when the source of the click to run high disk usage is an error or bug in the application itself. The need for a repair of the application arises if there are problems within it. Follow these steps and repair the program from “Control Panel” of Windows:
· Control Panel is found in the “Start” menu of Windows. You can also access the window by going to the “Run” dialog box, typing “control panel” and pressing the “Enter” key to reach directly.
· On the top-right end side of the Control Panel window, select the “Category” to change the “View” option
· Under “Programs”, choose the “Uninstall a program” button.
· From the list of applications, select the “Microsoft Click to Run” button. Right-click on your choice and launch the “Repair” window from “Change”.
· Ensure you are connected to good internet to make your work move smoothly. Now, follow the step-by-step instructions on your screen to repair the program.
Solution 3: Use a Third-Party Application to Set Priority for Microsoft Office Click-to-Run to Low Mode
You can download and install a third-party application on your PC with which you can set the priority for the Microsoft click to run application to “Low”. This will ensure that the disk space the application consumes is tuned down from its high usage. Several online third-party tools can be used to achieve this. These tools enable you to set the priority usage for such programs as click to run, so that you don’t have to disable it, but just ensure it uses a low disk space. Cool right?
Once you have downloaded and installed the third-party app, launch it and open the list containing your system applications. Right-click on “Microsoft Click-to-Run”. Select the low priority mode for it to run with.
Solution 4: Uninstall the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run
As a final resort, uninstall the Microsoft click to run application. This is a great way of ensuring that the app does not cause issues for you through its high disk usage. To uninstall the app, follow the steps below:
· Launch the “Control Panel” window using the steps as in solution two above. Again, click on “Category” as the option to “View”.
· Follow this path: “Programs” > “Uninstall a program”
· Right-click on Microsoft Office click to run from the list of system apps that pop up. Choose to “Uninstall” and that completes it.
· Now, restart your computer and you will not find the Office click to run anymore.
· You can go to the official website of Microsoft Office and download a new version that is not Click to Run.
As great as the Office click to run app is, it can be the reason your work is getting slowed down. With the solutions in this article, you can now fix the issue. If you choose to uninstall it, you can always download another version of Office without the Click to Run app.