You might want to automatically increase or decrease the amount ofspace before or after a paragraph so that the document looks consistentand flows easily. This is especially important when typing a thesis. Thesecret is not to format the documentbeforehand so that the result is consistent.
Follow these easy steps to set the spacing:
- Highlight the paragraphs you want to apply the spacing to.
- To apply or remove the spacing, use the line and paragraph spacingdrop-down icon. Select the desired option at the bottom of the list.Don’t add spaces between paragraphs of the same style.
- To control the amount of space you would like either in front of orafter a paragraph, go to the Paragraphdialog box. Right-click on the selected text and choose
- The Paragraph formatting dialogopens.
- In the Spacing section, adjust theparagraph spacing options as desired by clicking with the mousepointer on the up arrow next to the
Before: option. In the case of the precedingexample, we used 6 pt before theparagraphs.
- Add 6 pt of blank space tothe After: field.
- Click on OK to save the change.Note the changes.
Here, we can see these changes applied to the preceding exampleparagraph:
If styles have been applied throughout a document when formatting, itis important not to add a space betweenparagraphs of the same style. To explain further, if I applied