Saving and sharing an existing document to OneDrive means that youwill send a document (for storage and for sharing with others) to acentralized secure location on the web. With OneDrive, each person isable to contribute by editing or viewing the actual file using Officeweb applications within the web browser, or locally through desktopversions of the applications. For example, if there is animportant presentation with a client and suddenly your laptop stopsworking, then having important documents stored in OneDrive wouldhelp.
You do not need to bother with flash keys or multiple copies ofdocuments. OneDrive is accessible by means of a Microsoft account suchas Outlook, Hotmail, Live, Xbox, or Skype.
You can connect to OneDrive and sync files on your computer toOneDrive through the Microsoft OneDrive client, as well as using thefollowing steps:
- Open the document in Microsoft Word 2019 that you wish to share withpeople via OneDrive.
- Click on File
|Share| Share withPeople.
- Save the document to the cloud and share the document with others,as illustrated in the following screenshot:
- Click on Save toCloud.
- Make sure that you have OneDrive connected to your computer. Youwill notice that once you have clicked on the
Save to Cloud icon, your Personal folder will be present with thesign-in information, such as the email address shown in the followingscreenshot under OneDrive -Personal:
- If the OneDrive folder is not set up, you can sort this out bychoosing the Add aPlace option, and then selectingthe
OneDrive option on the right ofthe screen, as illustrated in the followingscreenshot:
- Enter the email address associated with your OneDrive account andpress Next, asillustrated in the following screenshot:
- Enter your password to sign in to your OneDrive account. Once youhave connected to your OneDrive account, you will notice thatthe OneDrive -Personal folder reflects the email address,and the
Documents folder willappear to the right of the window as the Current Folder, as illustrated in thefollowing screenshot:
- To save the document tothe OneDrive folder, clickon OneDrive -Personal.
- The SaveAs dialog box populates. Click on
Save to send the file to theOneDrive Documents folder, asillustrated in the following screenshot:
- Clicking on the Save icon allowsthe OneDrive folder to berefreshed, and any collaborator updates are displayed in thedocument, as illustrated in the following screenshot:
- The document is now saved to OneDrive; although viewable through theWord 2019 interface, the document is actually stored online in OneDrive.See the following screenshot of the OneDrive account with the documentsaved underthe Documents folder:
- Once the document is saved, you can return to the
File | Share option to share thedocument with others, as illustrated in the followingscreenshot:
Share pane will open to theright of the Word document, where you are able to see any existingcollaborators, invite other collaborators, or get a sharing link toshare the document with others, as illustrated in the followingscreenshot:
- The Get a sharinglink control will offer the option to share the document andallow collaborators to edit the document, or view the document withoutany editing rights. You need to simply click on the
Copy icon and then share thelink with others via email, a website link, or a document link, asillustrated in the following screenshot:
Let’s learn how to send a blog post in the next topic.