Using slicers and timelines is an excellent way of filtering data ina PivotTable. The difference between filtering and using slicers is thatslicers is more visually appealing andalso allows you to quickly retrieve data:
- Before we add slicers, let’s reorganize our data fields. Use thefollowing example to get the data ready for slicers. Use the sameworksheet as in the previous example:
- Click on the PivotTable, then go to the
Analyze tab of the PivotTable Tools contextual menu.
- Click on Insert Slicer under theFilter group:
- Select a field to use as the slicer. We will use DIVISIONfor this example. Click on OK to addthe slicer.
- The slicer is placed over the PivotTable and can be moved bydragging it to another location. Use the categories on theDIVISION slicer to filter the data in thePivotTable. The slicer has two icons at the top right. Click on thefirst icon to select multiple categories in the slicer or use the secondicon to remove existing filters:
Now, we will look at the timeline feature:
- We will first reorganize our data so that we create a focus on theDATE of HIRE field:
- Timelines are used to interactively filter dates. Click on thePivotTable, then select Insert
Timelines from the Filter group, located under the Analyze tab.
- Select DATE of HIRE from theoptions listed in the dialog box.
- The timeline is placed over the PivotTable and can be moved bydragging the title bar to a new location:
- To filter the dates, simply click on the filter arrow to the rightof the timeline to change YEARS toQUARTERS, then select items along thetimeline to filter the PivotTable data.
We learned how to add PivotTables, slicers, and timelines, as well ashow to group dates, in this section. We will now create aPivotChart.